If any student deems it necessary to file a grievance against a MIU City University Miami employee he or she must report such incident to the Executive Director. Every effort will be made to protect the privacy of any parties involved. The student is entitled and encouraged to have an informal discussion with the Executive Director as a first step. If an informal conversation does not result in a satisfactory resolution, or if you are not comfortable speaking about the matter with the Executive Director, then the student should discuss the situation with the President. In cases of discrimination or sexual harassment, MIU City University Miami encourages the student to go directly to the President. Any complaint that is not in writing, that is, a verbal complaint, is considered an informal complaint.

After an informal discussion, if the student wishes to file a formal grievance, he/she may submit such in writing to the Executive Director. However, before filing a formal charge, the complaining party should first make a good faith effort to meet and confer with the party against whom he or she has a complaint in an effort to resolve the matter. The formal report should contain a statement of the problem or complaint, the facts and details of the situation, pertinent dates and the names and positions of the parties involved. The grievance must be signed and dated. Also, student may withdraw a complaint at any time during the complaint process. A withdrawal must be made in writing to the Executive Director.

Upon receipt of a written formal complaint by a student, the Executive Director will consider the complaint together with the President. After such an investigation, the President will make a determination as to whether the grievance has merit as alleged. If the alleged grievance is deemed justified, MIU City University Miami will take whatever steps it deems appropriate to correct any grievance suffered by the complaining student. The entire process duration is 2 weeks, from the moment the student files the complaint until the final decision made by the President.

In accordance with rule 6N-1.006, F.A.C. for unresolved matters, you may contact the Commission for Independent Education, Florida Department of Education, 325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1414, Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400 Toll Free Telephone Number 850-245-3200.

Non-Florida residents who have completed the internal grievance process and the state grievance process may contact the FL-SARA State Portal Entity Contact, Florida Department of Education, 325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1414, Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400 Toll Free Telephone Number 850.245.3200. FLSARAinfo@fldoe.org