Students seeking to transfer credits earned at another postsecondary institution to MIU City University Miami or from MIU to other institutions should note that the transferability of credits is at the discretion of the accepting institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not another institution of the student’s choice will accept credits. The policy of the University regarding the evaluation of course content from other universities to determine its equivalency with a course offered at MIU City University Miami is that approximately three-fourths of the course content must match the content of the course offered at MIU if it is to be accepted for transfer. For evaluation purposes, students must provide a copy of transcripts. Foreign transcripts from internationally-based institutions should be submitted for Foreign credentials evaluation to the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)’s International Education Services, or a member of Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE), or a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), prior to the evaluation and award. MIU offers international students its support and guidance during this process. For evaluation purposes, the institution will assess the course description of the course to be evaluated and the school catalog. Evaluations are handled on a case-by-case basis.

Decisions regarding transferability of credits are not necessarily made prior to enrollment. Only students who have been fully admitted to MIU City University Miami may submit their transcripts and course descriptions for evaluation. Students are encouraged to submit official transcripts as soon as possible. MIU recognizes credits from accredited higher education degree granting institutions, and will not transfer credits for courses below college level. Evaluation of transferability of credits is performed by the Executive Director. On occasion, the Executive Director may seek the advice of an expert or faculty member in a specific discipline to perform course evaluations.

However, grades for classes that were transferred from another University are shown as “TR” on the transcript and will not be used in computing the student’s grade point average. For undergraduate students, no more than 75% of the course will be transferred; for graduate students, no more than 50% of the course will be transferred; and other documentation may be requested, such as sample of coursework.